Much of digital marketing go hand and hand and works together to help increase your search engine optimization (SEO). It’s always a good idea to know exactly how it is affecting it. That is why the experts at Benji Marketing SEO have put together this article to show you exactly how social media can affect your SEO. Keep reading to learn more.
SEO and social media go hand in hand and complement each other very well. Social media has been proven many times to help increase your SEO. It may not be in the exact way you are thinking though. It can organically bring more people to your website.
Some of the ways that it does this are by:
- Marketing to new audiences you have not reached before.
- Increases shares so the content is on the website longer and able to be seen more often.
- Linking your website to social media posts can help increase the optimization of that page.
- Your overall brand will increase in popularity when you have a strong social media presence. This will not only help your search engine efforts but your business as a whole.
- You can utilize keywords in your social media posts to increase engagement.
- Google is one of the social media sites and will help to increase your overall ranking.
- Gives your website more visibility with users clicking on the link
The first reason why social media affects search engine optimization is that people can share content on social media. Google and other search engines love when people share content. It means it´s interesting and it’s an important item to read. This will increase the overall awareness of the page you are sharing.
When you share a link to a website and people click on it, it automatically drives readers to that website. There, they can be liking, commenting, and sharing information. You are doing your job on social media by bringing readers to the website. From there, you want to ensure the page has quality content on it so it converts into sales.
If you have a local business, social media is extremely critical for you. Social media sites like Facebook rank business pages. Many people are now switching to social media to find local businesses. Whether that is a restaurant, a gym, or a hotel, they will type the item into the search bar and then press the location. If you have a high social media presence the social media site will rank you higher. This makes more people visiting your business that much more. Social media has a ranking system all in its own. One of the best ways to do this is to post regularly, reply to comments and questions, and engage with other users. Make sure your social media channels are also linked on your website.
One statistic that sticks out when it comes to this is that 80% of people of a phone will search using their phone for businesses close to them. This means that if you are a local business, social media SEO is critical. If you have a local business, make sure the address is on your social media page and any additional information that you can add like a phone number or your website. Not having these can lower your SEO ranking.
Moz has stated that added third party links to your social media sites will still continue to help your ranking. Many people are scared to share other people’s content. It is, in fact, the opposite. Sharing other links will not only increase your social media but will show that you are a trusted company that is sharing good quality links. This will also help the odds of other websites linking back to you.
There are lots of ideas your business can do to draw more engagement, likes, and shares on your social media. If you do not have a marketing department, during your next team meeting bring it up and see if they have any ideas.
Here are a couple of ideas to get your brain started:
- Ask questions at the end of your social media posts. Example: What season is your favorite or which one do you like better.
- Host a content that allows them to share your post. Make sure when they share it helps your brand out and shows a great product or service you offer. This way when they share it more and more people will see your service or product. This can be a great inexpensive marketing strategy.
- Comment at the end of your blog posts to comment or ask a question at the end of your blog posts. For example on this blog, we may ask what your favorite way to create engagement on social media is.
Although social media and SEO are different, they both fall under the wing of digital marketing. Just like having great written content will affect the number of people read your blog or your website. Each piece of the puzzle needs to come together so that your website can have the best chance at a successful SEO strategy.
We hope you now understand how having a great and successful social media presence can greatly affect your SEO. Although it can seem overwhelming at first, make sure you keep sharing quality links, great pictures, and asking questions at the end of your content. It’s a great idea to reach out and hire help to ensure it is being done correctly and you are getting the most out of your social media channels.
For more information on social media or SEO, contact us today!